Je suis arrivé!

August 9th, 2015 jhthom17

Bonjour mes amis! I am finally in France! It’s hard to believe I’ve only been here for one week–it feels like it’s been much longer already! This entire week has been a whirlwind. In this blog, I hope I can fill you all in on some general information about my time thus far in Tours and that in future posts I can dive into greater detail regarding different experiences I have.

First off, let me explain my living situation: I am living with a single woman here in addition to two other Chinese students who are also studying at the Institut de Touraine. We each have our own bedroom (which is lovely) and share one bathroom in Marie’s (my host mom’s) apartment here in Tours. I live on a quiet street just a block away from a beautiful park and am only a 15-minute walk from school. I eat two meals per day in the apartment, breakfast and dinner, and during the school week I am responsible for my own lunch–I’ll typically find something cheap in town. Now some school information: I have class 20 hours per week at the Institut de Touraine in addition to some, but not a lot, of homework. The courses in conjunction with speaking French at home have thus far been invaluable in preparing me for university in September.

So far the experience here in Tours has been fantastic. We’ve already been on 2 excursions: one at the Château de Chenonceau this past Wednesday and the other yesterday at Mont St. Michel and St. Malo, which is a sunny beachside town. I’m thankful after my first full week here to finally have had a moment to fill you all in on my time here! It’s been incredible and I cannot wait to tell you all more. Until next week, bonne journée!

Jonathan Thompson '17